10.06.2011

Candy Corn Wreath

I L-O-V-E Halloween!  I L-O-V-E crafts!  I L-O-V-E candy corn!

So what can I make that involves all three of my favorite things...a Candy Corn Wreath of course!

Here is a list of the items you need to create this beautiful Halloween wreath:
  • Wreath (I got mine from Hobby Lobby for $4)
  • Black Electrical Tape (2 rolls)
  • Candy Corn (4 bags-I used Brach's b/c it looks the best)
  • Halloween Ribbon (I made my own which you will see below)
  • Hot Glue Gun (must be hot glue in order to stick properly and quickly without melting the candies)
  • Krylon Preserve It!

As you can see from the picture, I tried to use Tacky Glue at first, but realized quickly that it was impossible to use.  It did not dry quickly enough and caused the candies to melt and loose their color, so again make sure you use a hot glue gun to adhere the candy corn. =)

Directions:
  • First be sure to let your candy corn sit out on something of your choice for at least 3-7 days to let the candy get stale and lose its stickiness.  This will help the candy corn from melting if you are planning on placing the wreath outside.
  • Take wreath and wrap it with the black electrical tape.  I used a grass wreath that I got from Hobby Lobby for $4, but you can use a Styrofoam wreath also.  (I'm all about saving money as much as possible, so find what's cheapest for you).  I also found the black electrical tape 2 for $1 at the Dollar Store.

Here is what the covered wreath should look like.

  • Next, take the wreath and begin to hot glue the candy corn on.  I started in the center of the wreath and moved around the ring.  Alternate the directions of the candy corn on each row in order to create an interlocking pattern as seen here:

  • Continue gluing candy corn onto the wreath until you cover any visible electrical tape.  This should take between 3-4 bags of candy corn.  I left the back side uncovered so that the wreath would lay flat on the door.  

  • After finishing gluing all the candy corn to the wreath you will need to seal the candy.  You will need to use a sealant called Krylon Preserve It! (I found it at Micheal's).  You can choose to seal the candy before gluing or after finishing the wreath.  This sealant will gloss the candy and make it "undesirable" to pests and keep it from melting in the sun outside.
  • If you are unable to find any Halloween ribbon to your liking consider creating your own.  I wanted a wide ribbon to hang my wreath from, but was unable to find any at either Hobby Lobby or Michael's.  I took a wide orange ribbon and a small Trick or Treat ribbon and simply hot glued the small ribbon to the middle of the wide orange ribbon.


  • Loop the ribbon around the wreath and hang from a wreath hanger on any door of your liking and viola you have your very own Candy Corn Wreath!!! =)

My finished project =)


My front door right now...
BTW did mention that I LOVE Fall & Halloween?!?!









1 comment: